2017 Milestones Include Completion of Second Industry-Wide Multi-Vendor Plugfest Focused on Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe™) over Fibre Channel (FC) Fabric
MINNEAPOLIS, February 1, 2018 – In a move that supports the continued innovation of Fibre Channel (FC) and its legacy of data reliability, integrity and security, the Fibre Channel Industry Association (FCIA) today announced its 2017-18 Board of Directors.
“The fulfilment of these roles by top storage industry technologists brings a wealth of expertise and contacts to the association,” said Mark Jones, president and chairman of the board, FCIA. “Fibre Channel remains the standard storage networking protocol of choice and has a long, innovative future as evidenced by the completion of the INCITS T11 FC-NVMe standard in 2017.”
The members of the 2017/2018 FCIA Board of Directors are:
- Chairman and President: Mark Jones, Broadcom Limited
- Treasurer: Craig Carlson, QLogic a Cavium Company
- Secretary and Education Chair: J Metz, Cisco
Members at Large:
- Marketing Chair: Rupin Mohan, Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Kevin Ehringer, DCS
- Chris Lyon, Amphenol
- David Rodgers, Teledyne LeCroy
- Steven Wilson, T11 Chair (Non-Voting)
“2018 is poised to be another great year for the fibre channel industry,” said Mike Heumann, managing partner, G2M Research. “The current footprint for NVMe-enabled systems and devices can be expected to grow exponentially by 2020 to be a multi-billion dollar market, as data centers, service providers and telecom equipment providers and carriers start to utilize NVMe-capable enabled infrastructure platforms such as FC-NVMe.”
In 2017, there was tremendous FC industry progress and technical developments that helped shape the future of the storage industry including:
- Completion of the second industry-wide multi-vendor plugfest focused on NVMe over FC Fabric the week of October 30 at UNH-IOL, with nine industry-leading companies participating
- The first validation of the newly completed INCITS T11 FC-NVMe standard
- Live NVMe Over Fabrics technology demonstration operated by multiple fibre channel vendors
- Continued development of Gen 6 Fibre Channel, the industry’s fastest industry standard networking protocol that enables storage area networks of up to 128GFC
- The advancement of a 64GFC specification that is set to double data bandwidth over existing Gen 6 32GFC and 128GFC
- Launch of an FCIA Education Committee focused on providing value to IT professionals by providing insight into FC technology
- The publication of the 2017 Fibre Channel Solutions Guide, available online at https://fibrechannel.org/.
FCIA BrightTALK Webcasts
In 2017, FCIA continued its series of BrightTALK webcasts where thought leaders actively share their insights and provide up-to-date information on the Fibre Channel industry. Don’t miss the opportunity to attend the next webcast scheduled for Thursday, February 6 at 11:00 a.m. PST titled “Fibre Channel Performance: Congestion, Slow Drain, and Over-Utilization, Oh My!” Ed Mazurek, Cisco, Earl Apellanes, Broadcom, David Rogers, Teledyne LeCroy will be leading the discussion, followed by a Q&A session.
Register today for free and view previous FCIA webcasts at: http://bit.ly/2DyNX9L
The Fibre Channel Industry Association (FCIA) is a non-profit international organization whose sole purpose is to act as the independent technology and marketing voice of the Fibre Channel industry. We are committed to helping member organizations promote and position Fibre Channel, and providing a focal point for Fibre Channel information, standards advocacy, and education. FCIA members include manufacturers, system integrators, developers, vendors, industry professionals, and end users. Our member-led working groups and committees focus on creating and championing the Fibre Channel technology roadmaps, targeting applications that include data storage, video, networking, and storage area network (SAN) management. For more info, go to https://fibrechannel.org.
# # #
Media Contact: Association Contact:
Linda Capcara Shelby Laramy
TechTHiNQ on behalf of FCIA FCIA Marketing Manager
Phone: +1.480.229.7090 Phone: +1.952.564.3071