Dell’Oro Group Forecasts That Total Fibre Channel SAN Port Shipments for 2018 is Expected to Approach 7.7 Million, up 11 Percent Over 2017
MINNEAPOLIS, February 26, 2019 – Amidst a growing Fibre Channel market, the Fibre Channel Industry Association (FCIA) today announced its 2019-20 Board of Directors. The board serves in advisory and fiduciary roles for the sole purpose of marketing Fibre Channel technology to the industry. The new board includes four officers and three members-at-large, from a diverse set of technology industry leaders.
“We are grateful for the knowledge and experience that this board brings to bear as we continue to promote the growth and innovation of the Fibre Channel market,” said Mark Jones, president, FCIA. “The Fibre Channel market remains strong with a long, innovative future, as evidenced by the completion of 64GFC and Gen 7 Fibre Channel in 2018.”
According to Dell’Oro Group’s latest Storage Area Networks (SAN) 5-Year Forecast Report (final data will be available in Dell’Oro Group’s 4Q18 report):
- Total Fibre Channel SAN port shipments (Fibre Channel switch and Fibre Channel adapter) for 2018 is expected to approach 7.7 million, up more than 11 percent over 2017
- Total Fibre Channel SAN revenue (Fibre Channel switch and Fibre Channel adapter) is expected to approach $2.5 billion in 2018, up nearly 22 percent over 2017
“We estimate 2018 Fibre Channel (FC) SAN revenue will be higher than we had predicted (final data will be available in our 4Q18 report),” said Casey Quillin, Director at Dell’Oro Group. “While both FC adapter and FC switch markets expanded, most of the growth was driven by FC switch sales.”
The members of the 2019/2020 FCIA Board of Directors are:
- Chairman: Chris Lyon, Amphenol ICC
- President: Mark Jones, Broadcom Inc.
- Treasurer: Craig Carlson, Marvell Semiconductor
- Secretary and Education Chair: J Metz, Cisco
Members at Large:
- Marketing Chair: Rupin Mohan, Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- David J. Rodgers, Teledyne LeCroy
- Steven Wilson, T11 Chair (Non-Voting)
On the heels of FCIA celebrating its 25th anniversary and the INCITS T11 standards committee holding its 150th meeting, there was tremendous Fibre Channel industry progress and technical developments in 2018 that helped shape the future of the storage industry including:
- Completion of the FC-PI-7 standard, which support deployments of 64GFC and Gen 7 solutions for the SAN market, the fastest industry standard networking protocol that enables storage area networks of up to 128GFC
- The first validation of the newly completed INCITS T11 FC-NVMe standard
- The fourth multi-vendor plugfest focused on the FC-NVMe standard and Gen 6 FC compatibility with 13 participating companies
- Live NVMe Over Fibre Channel technology demonstration at the Flash Memory Summit
- Publication of seven webcasts published by the FCIA Education Committee focused on providing insight into Fibre Channel technology
- The publication of the 2018 Fibre Channel Solutions Guide, available online at https://fibrechannel.org/.
Free FCIA Webcasts
FCIA sponsors a series of free webcasts where thought leaders actively share their insights and provide up-to-date information on the Fibre Channel industry. You can watch any of our webcasts on demand, including the most recent one titled “FICON 201,” at https://bit.ly/2RWZmm4. Patty Driever, IBM; Howard Johnson, Broadcom and Joe Kimpler, ATTO Technologies, led the discussion, followed by a Q&A session.
The Fibre Channel Industry Association (FCIA) is a non-profit international organization whose sole purpose is to act as the independent technology and marketing voice of the Fibre Channel industry. We are committed to helping member organizations promote and position Fibre Channel, and providing a focal point for Fibre Channel information, standards advocacy, and education. FCIA members include manufacturers, system integrators, developers, vendors, industry professionals, and end users. Our member-led working groups and committees focus on creating and championing the Fibre Channel technology roadmaps, targeting applications that include data storage, video, networking, and storage area network (SAN) management. For more info, go to https://fibrechannel.org.
# # #
TechTHiNQ on behalf of FCIA
FCIA Marketing Manager