Connectivity Portfolio Delivers Accelerated Application Performance, Data Center Efficiency, Improved Intelligence and Includes Uniquely Flexible, Scalable DynamicLOM Architecture
COSTA MESA, Calif., September 9, 2014 – Emulex Corporation (NYSE:ELX), a leader in network connectivity, monitoring and management, today announced it is delivering Ethernet and Fibre Channel (FC) connectivity solutions for the new Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX, TX, BX and CX rack, tower, blade, and scale-out servers. The new PRIMERGY servers, based on the new Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product families, are designed to support next generation workloads such as virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), big data analytics, and emerging compute architectures such as network functions virtualization (NFV) for telcos. Emulex OneConnect® 10Gb Ethernet (10GbE) and LightPulse® Gen 5 (16Gb) FC technologies provide the basis for the new Fujitsu PRIMERGY I/O connectivity portfolio, and includes a DynamicLoM (LAN on Motherboard), which is a unique, modular, scalable and field interchangeable LOM architecture.
“Emulex partnered with Fujitsu on the modular design of the DynamicLoM architecture to enable data acceleration with RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) support, scale new workloads with as much as a 4x boost in small packet performance boost and lower operational cost with hardware offloads,” said Shaun Walsh, senior vice president of marketing, Emulex. “We have also extended our long-term FC partnership with Fujitsu by adding advanced features with ExpressLane, which provides latency-based Quality of Service (QoS) in flash-based storage environments, and support for Brocade ClearLink diagnostics, which optimizes FC network integrity by validating network paths and isolating potential network issues.”
“With the new PRIMERGY generation, we not only counted on our 20 years of x86 server experience but also took inspiration from our customers, partners and the market. From the first PRIMERGY server in 1994 until the current generation, our focus has always been to further innovate usability, increase efficiency, and to make a contribution to the business-centric data center.” said Uwe Romppel, Head of Product Development Group Server, Product Management, Fujitsu. “Emulex Ethernet and Fibre Channel solutions for our PRIMERGY servers help to achieve these targets by delivering the accelerated performance, scalability and flexibility our customers need for their next generation applications.”
Emulex Ethernet I/O connectivity solutions for the new Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers include the following key benefits:
- Accelerated Application Performance: The newest Ethernet adapters for Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers provided by Emulex deliver as much as a 4x boost in small packet network performance1, vs. previous generation adapters, which is critical for transaction-heavy workloads such as telco, Web-scale and messaging applications. Additionally, Emulex has implemented RoCE to accelerate applications such as Microsoft SQL Server when using Windows Server SMB Direct, delivering application and storage acceleration through faster I/O operations.
- Greener I/O with Increased Efficiency and Lower Power: Emulex vEngineTM storage and overlay network protocol offload support improves CPU utilization up to 46 percent1, enabling heavier compute workloads and higher scalability with the ability to support more virtual machines (VMs) per server and build faster and more scalable hybrid cloud environments. Emulex vEngine, combined with the doubled core count and faster memory in the new Intel Xeon processors, allows customers to maintain CPU utilization thresholds and reduce CPU usage fluctuations while adding more workloads to each server. Emulex vEngine can also reduce server power consumption by up to 50 watts2, which lowers the server power costs by up to 20 percent (based on average power consumption of 250 watts per server).
- Improved Quality of Service: Emulex Universal Multi-Channel (UMC) support allows multiple PCI functions to be created on each adapter port. Each 10GbE port can be configured with up to eight NIC functions with granular bandwidth provisioning and will work with any 10GbE switch. This drives higher VM density on host servers, optimizes I/O utilization, enables Service Level Agreement (SLA) based provisioning, and simplifies deployment.
The Fujitsu LPe16000B-M6-F, LPe16002B-M6-F and MC-FC162E 16GFC adapters, based on Emulex LightPulse Gen 5 FC technology, offer more than 1.2 million I/O operations per second (IOPS) on a single port2, the highest level of FC adapter performance available today, and up to 6x greater IOPS per port than the previous generation, enabling better storage performance for cloud and storage intensive applications. Power efficiency is also improved by delivering up to 4x better IOPS per watt of power vs. previous generation HBAs. Emulex Gen 5 FC also includes exclusive ExpressLane technology, which improves both Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and QoS by using prioritization flags to identify priority traffic to the fabric, alleviating congestion, reducing latency and improving throughput. Additionally, customers can now optimize application performance and accelerate deployment problem resolution with integrated support for Brocade ClearLink diagnostics technology within Emulex Gen 5 FC HBAs.
Emulex FC and Ethernet adapters are based on a common driver stack and can be provisioned using OneCommand® Manager, eliminating complexity and network reconfiguration in virtualized environments, while enabling unified networking through protocol convergence, accelerating time-to-market and seamless deployment for customers’ next generation data centers.
Fujitsu I/O connectivity solutions based on Emulex technology for the new Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX and BX rack and blade servers include:
- Modular LOMs – The Fujitsu DynamicLoMs are modular, scalable and field interchangeable with an architecture that can be configured as either a dual-port 10GbE with SFP+, dual-port 10GBASE-T, quad-port 1000BASE-T, or dual-port 1000BASE-T. The DynamicLoMs enable the consolidation of multiple networking services on a single, high-speed Ethernet adapter platform.
- Standard and Mezzanine 10Gb Ethernet Adapters – Fujitsu OCe14102-UX-F dual-port 10Gb Converged Network Adapter (CNA) and OCec14102-UX-F dual-port 10GbE Cloud Adapter.
- Standard and Mezzanine 16Gb Fibre Channel (16GFC) Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) – Fujitsu LPe16000B-M6-F single-port and LPe16002B-M6-F dual-port 16GFC HBAs and Fujitsu MC-FC162E dual-port 16GFC Mezzanine Adapters
- Standard and Mezzanine 8GFC HBAs – Fujitsu LPe1250-F8-F single-channel and LPe12002-M8-F dual-channel 8GFC HBAs and Fujitsu MC-FC82E dual-channel 8GFC Mezzanine Adapters.
Follow Emulex on Twitter.
Emulex, a leader in network connectivity, monitoring and management, provides hardware and software solutions for global networks that support enterprise, cloud, government and telecommunications. Emulex’s products enable unrivaled end-to-end application visibility, optimization and acceleration. The Company’s I/O connectivity offerings, including its line of ultra high-performance Ethernet and Fibre Channel-based connectivity products, have been designed into server and storage solutions from leading OEMs, including Cisco, Dell, EMC, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, Huawei, IBM, NetApp and Oracle, and can be found in the data centers of nearly all of the Fortune 1000. Emulex’s monitoring and management solutions, including its portfolio of network visibility and recording products, provide organizations with complete network performance management at speeds up to 100Gb Ethernet. Emulex is headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. For more information about Emulex (NYSE:ELX) please visit http://www.Emulex.com.